Online & On Top: e-commerce stands to gain more share in 2020

When it’s all said and done, 2020 will be a good year for e-commerce, but probably not the best for retail as a whole.

As consumers spend more time at home due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, retailers with an online presence have been in position to capitalize. For small and independent retailers, a shoppable website provided some business when Main Street was closed earlier this year. For larger operations whose game is online retail, consumers rewarded them with business and attention. Consider Wayfair, which posted its first profit during this year’s second quarter, largely due to being properly positioned for the time.

The U.S. Department of Commerce reported that consumers spent $601.75 billion online with U.S. merchants in 2019, up 14.9% from $523.64 billion in 2018. Many expect those figures to climb as 2020 comes to a close. In its second quarter e-commerce report, the U.S. Census Bureau reported that while total retail sales declined 3.9% from the first quarter, e-commerce sales increased 31.8%.

A forecast released in June by eMarketer predicts that U.S. e-commerce sales will rise 18% in 2020, largely due to the pandemic and its effects. However, the forecast anticipates the overall retail picture will drop, with sales down 10.5%.

This is the seventh year Home Accents Today has presented this report, which surveys the online channel’s key home furnishings retailers and looks at sales leaders who have caught the attention of online shoppers. This exclusive report lists 18 online home furnishings retailers in alphabetical order. This list is by no means comprehensive. Many more than the 18 internet retailers listed here are strong players within the home furnishings industry and online channel.

This report does not rank companies, nor does it feature furniture retailers that have both a brick-and-mortar and online presence, such as Rooms To Go, Walmart and Williams Sonoma. All sales figures and ranges are Furniture Today research estimates and are for total 2019 sales, which may include revenues from the sale of products other than furniture.

Home Accents Today chooses not to include some companies due to lack of verification of revenue figures. Furniture Today compiled this report by surveying online furniture retailers and researching business newspaper archives. Information was gathered, compiled and analyzed by Home Accents Today’s Strategic Insights department.

amazon

Amazon.com

Seattle

amazon.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $281 billion

Publicly held, fiscal year ended Dec. 31. Began selling online in July 1995 and is known as the world’s biggest online retailer. Sells directly to consumers and through third-party vendors online and through mobile apps. North American 2019 sales grew 21% to $171 billion and accounted for 61% of total. Furniture brands carried include Acme, Ashley, Coaster, Fashion Bed Group, Homelegance, Sauder, Serta, Simmons, Prepac, South Shore and Walker Edison. Total 2019 sales were $281 billion, up 21% from $231 billion in 2018.

Article

Vancouver, BC

article.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $100 million or more

Privately held, founded in 2011. Sells directly to consumers and has delivered more than 600,000 orders to date. The online merchant has re-engineered the furniture buying process to provide more value than what exists on the market today: deliver high-quality modern furniture at great prices, with speed, ease and convenience. Today, Article exceeds $100 million in gross annual sales and continues its growth trajectory.

Bellacor

Minneapolis

bellacor.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $35 million or more

Privately-held, established in 2000. Offers promotional to high-end furniture covering the home, inside and out. Offers more than 500,000 products from over 500 brands. Merchandise assortment includes lighting and home furnishings. Major suppliers include Hooker, Universal, Magnussen Home and Hillsdale Furniture. Promotes free shipping for orders over $75 and a price-matching policy. Decorative accessories accounted for around one-fifth of 2019 total sales; furniture, 16%; and the remaining 64% come from other merchandise including lighting. Bellacor has a social media presence through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Houzz, YouTube, and Instagram. Works with designers and home experts to create content for its blog, bellacor.com/blog. Attends multiple U.S. trade shows each year to source product.

BestPricedFurniture.com

Torrance, Calif.

bestpricedfurniture.com

Est. 2019 total sales: Less than $5 million

Founded in 2003. Offers promotional to upper-middle priced lines. Has five employees. Major suppliers include Powell, Coaster, Diamond Sofa, and Zuo. Furniture and bedding accounted for 85% of total 2018 sales, the remaining 15% was decorative accessories. The website is mobile-ready. Best Priced Furniture has a social media presence through Facebook, Pinterest, and LinkedIn. Attends four U.S. trade shows each year to source product. Offers free shipping on all items in the continental 48 states.

ClubFurniture.com

Charlotte, N.C.

clubfurniture.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $5 million to $9.9 million

Family-owned by brothers Darrin and Jeff King. In business since 1998. Offers upper-middle priced lines. Strives to offer only U.S.-manufactured product, with 95% of fabric and leather living room seating produced in North Carolina and Virginia. Case goods accounted for 19% of 2019 total sales; 80% from other furniture and bedding; and 5% decorative accessories. All furniture sold is private labeled under the ClubFurniture brand. Has a social media presence through Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Offers free coast-to-coast in-home shipping. Also offers free fabric and leather swatches. The family also operates One Source Plus, a furniture store serving the Charlotte, N.C., area.

Dynamic Home Décor

Braintree, Mass.

dynamichomedecor.com

Est. 2019 total sales: Less than $5 million

Family-owned business established in 1999. Offers promotional to high-end lines. The website has over 40,000 items including dining chairs, dining tables and dining sets, leather sectionals, recliners and coffee tables as well as entertainment wall units, table lamps, floor lamps, stools and TV stands. Carries a number of brand names including Parker House, Crosley, Legends Furniture, Elements Fine Home, Moe’s, Lazzaro, Leather Italia, and Barcalounger. Furniture and bedding accounted for 80% of total sales; the remaining 20% was decorative accessories. The website is mobile-ready and has thousands of site visitors each week. Dynamic Home Decor has a social media presence through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram, as well as a company blog. Offers free shipping within the continental 48 states.

Gilt

New York

gilt.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $500 million or more

Part of privately held Rue Gilt Groupe, consisting of flash sales sites Rue La La and Gilt, since 2018. Gilt launched in the U.S. in November 2007. The site offers furniture and home decor from hundreds of different suppliers including 808 Home, Abbyson, Bronson Couture Furniture, Cyan Design, Couristan Rugs, Design Studios, Modway, Moe’s Home, Noir Home, Noori Rug, Nourison, NuLOOM, Ohana, Panama Jack, Parker James Outdoor, Rustique by Pangea Home, Safavieh, Sealy, Skyline Furniture, SUNPAN, Surya, Tema Home, TOV Furniture, Wolf Mattresses, World Wide Home Furnishings, World Interiors, Yosemite Home Décor, and Zuo, among others. Gilt has mobile apps for iOS and Android devices; approximately 60% of the retailer’s orders are generated on a mobile platform. The company has a social media presence through Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.

HauteLook/Nordstromrack.com

Los Angeles

hautelook.com/nordstromrack.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $5.189 billion

Flash-sale site founded in 2007. Acquired by publicly-held Nordstrom in 2011. Provides sales events on women’s and men’s fashion and accessories, beauty, kids’ apparel and toys, home decor and travel products. New Events begin every day at 8 a.m. Pacific and are shoppable for a limited time. HauteLook has more than 3.5 million members. Has mobile apps for iOS and Android devices and has a social media presence through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube and Instagram. Shares a login and shopping cart with Nordstrom’s other online site, Nordstrom Rack. Together, Nordstrom U.S Rack stores, HauteLook/NordstromRack.com and Last Chance clearance stores total 2019 sales were $5.189 billion, up slightly from $5.181 billion in 2018.

Hayneedle

Omaha, Neb.

hayneedle.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $470 million

Owned by Walmart as part of its 2016 acquisition of Jet.com. Founded in 2002. Offers a range of products from indoor and outdoor furniture to decor, gift baskets, supplies, equipment and more. Has approximately 500 employees and operates fulfillment centers in Monroe, Ohio, and Riverside, Calif. In January 2020, Walmart announced plans to integrate the Hayneedle business within Walmart.com, while allowing the Hayneedle website to continue to operate.

Homelement

East Brunswick, N.J.

homelement.com

Est. 2019 total sales: Less than $5 million

Family-owned, founded in 2003. Offers lower-middle to high-end lines. Has 10 employees. Major suppliers include Homelegance and Hillsdale Furniture. Furniture and bedding accounted for 90% of 2019 total sales; the other 10% was from decorative accessories. The website is mobile-ready. Homelement has a social media presence through Facebook and Twitter, as well as a company blog.

JMX Brands

Sarasota, Fla.

jmxbrands.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $10 million to $14.9 million

Family-owned business founded in 2003. JMX has around 50 employees. The company’s flagship store, www.DutchCrafters.com, sells heirloom-quality, Amish-made furniture at upper-middle to high-end price points. The site includes some 5,000 products, including formal dining, casual dining, bedroom, entertainment furniture, occasional, home office, outdoor and youth furniture sourced directly from Dutch wood shops in Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana. Other JMX internet stores include JMXBamboo.com, specializing in bamboo furniture; OceanFare.com, specializing in marine equipment and nautical gifts; and GardenTones.com, specializing in polywood outdoor furniture and lawn and garden decor. Furniture and bedding accounted for roughly 98% of 2018 total sales; the remaining 2% was from decorative accessories. The website is mobile-ready and has over 30,000 visitors each week. JMX has a social media presence through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube and Tumblr. Attends four U.S. trade shows each year to source product. Has one first brick-and-mortar store in Sarasota, Fla. The DutchCrafters store is about 3,500 square feet and is located at the company’s corporate headquarters. In August 2018, launched EcoFriendlyDigs.com, an online store dedicated to selling environmentally friendly furnishings and accessories.

One Kings Lane

San Francisco

onekingslane.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $250 million to $300 million

Since launching in March 2009, One Kings Lane has established itself as a premiere home shopping destination and resource. One Kings Lane was acquired by Bed Bath & Beyond Inc. in 2016, opened their first retail experience in Southampton, NY in 2017, and launched their New York City flagship in Soho in September 2018, as part of their continued retail expansion efforts. Sold by Bed Bath & Beyond in early 2020 to an affiliate of CSC generation, which also owns Z Gallerie, DirectBuy and Sur La Table.

Overstock.com

Salt Lake City

overstock.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $1.5 billion

Publicly held, fiscal year ended Dec. 31. Online-only closeout retailer offering discount brand name merchandise. Began selling online in 1999. Home and garden as a merchandise category accounted for approximately 81% of total sales in 2019. Home and garden includes furniture, home decor, kitchen and dining, bedding, garden and patio, home improvement, housewares and other related home products. Furniture brands include Signature Design by Ashley, Abbyson Living, Bestar, Broyhill, Coaster, Emerald Home, Fashion Bed Group, Furniture of America, Hillsdale Furniture, Klaussner, Magnussen, Modway, Sandberg, Serta, Simmons, Skyline Furniture, South Shore and Zuo Modern, among others. Decorative accessory brands include Cyan Design, IMAX, Nourison, Nuloom, Safavieh, Urban Trends, Uttermost and Walker Edison, among others. Total 2019 sales were $1.5 billion, down 20% from $1.8 billion in 2018.

Renegade Furniture Group

Cedarhurst, N.Y.

colemanfurniture.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $100 million

Family-owned, founded in 2009. Sells through ColemanFurniture.com. Offers lower- to upper-middle priced lines. Has 130 employees. Major suppliers include TOV Furniture, Hooker, Universal, Bernhardt, Legacy Classic, Steve Silver, Ashley, and Pulaski for furniture. Furniture and bedding accounted for 97% of sales in 2019; the remaining 3% was from decorative accessories. Coleman Furniture has a social media presence through Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube. Offers free in-home delivery and free in-home assembly on thousands of items. Attends four U.S. trade shows each year to source product.

Rue La La

Boston

ruelala.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $500 million or more

Member-only flash sales site founded in 2007. Member base is over 20 million. Offers men’s, women’s and children’s apparel and accessories; home decor and accents; and exclusive destinations and experiences. Furniture offerings include case goods and outdoor furniture. Daily Boutique sales go live at 11 a.m. ET and stay open for 48 hours. Focuses on the consumer’s shopping experience and what it calls “daily, must-see shopping.” Has mobile apps for iOS and Android devices. Rue La La has a social media presence through Twitter and Facebook. Part of Rue Gilt Groupe, owned by Kynetic, which also owns Fanatics, a leading online retailer of licensed sports merchandise, and ShopRunner, an innovative, members-only service that aggregates shopping benefits from top retailers and brands.

Wayfair building

Wayfair

Boston

wayfair.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $9.1 billion

Fiscal year ended Dec. 31. Founded in 2002. Sells through five distinct brands: Wayfair.com, everything home for every budget; Joss & Main, affordable discoveries for gorgeous living; AllModern unbelievable prices on everything modern; Birch Lane, home of classic designs and fresh finds; and Perigold, The widest-ever selection of premium home. Offers more than 10 million products from more than 10,000 suppliers. Brands offered include A-America, Abbyson Living, Signature Design by Ashley, Broyhill, Copeland, Emerald Home Furnishings, Hillsdale Furniture, Hooker, Klaussner, Nourison, Serta, Simmons, Stearns & Foster, Surya, South Shore, Standard, Tempur-Pedic and Walker Edison, among others. Opened its first permanent brick-and-mortar location in Kentucky in 2019. U.S. revenue accounted for 86% of total sales last year. Total net revenue increased $2.4 billion to $9.1 billion, up 36% year over year.

Wholesale Furniture Brokers

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

gowfb.ca

Est. 2019 total sales: Less than $5 million

Privately-held, in business since 2002. Offers promotional to high end lines. Has 12 employees. Operates one brick-and-mortar store at its headquarters in Kamloops. Major suppliers include Prepac, Modloft, Primo International, Mobital, and CDI Furniture. Furniture accounted for 100% of 2019 total sales. Wholesale Furniture Brokers has a social media presence through Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Attends one U.S. trade show each year to source product.

zulily

Seattle

zulily.com

Est. 2019 total sales: $1.5 billion

A wholly owned subsidiary of Qurate Retail, Inc., which includes QVC, HSN, zulily and the Cornerstone brands. Fiscal year ended Dec. 31. The site was launched in 2010 and is headquartered in Seattle with over 2.2 million square feet in fulfillment capacity between its three US fulfillment centers in Ohio, Nevada and Pennsylvania. Features a curated collection for the whole family, including clothing, home decor, toys, gifts and more. Have worked with 15,000 different brands and has an estimated 6.9M active customers. Unique products from up-and-coming brands are featured alongside favorites from top brands, giving customers something new to discover each morning. New sales open each day at 6 a.m. Pacific Time. zulily has mobile apps for Android and iOS devices. Total 2019 revenue was $1.5 billion, down 14% from $1.8 billion in 2018.

Source: Strategic Insights, 2020 Home Accents Today study

Latest posts